Updated 5 March 2021
Our Managing Director and Principal Consultant, Graham Kenyon, has authored and contributed to a number of leading industry publications and events, a selection of which are listed below – or use the quick links here.
Technical books and guidance
Graham has authored and contributed to publications by leading industry organisations.
IET Technical Standards
Code of practice for electric vehicle charging equipment installation
Author, 4th Ed 2020
Author, 3rd Ed 2018
(4th Edition now available)
Code of practice for electrical energy storage systems
Electrician’s guide to fire detection and fire alarm systems
Author, 3rd Ed (*NEW* due Q1-Q2 2021)
Draft for public comment for 3rd Ed opened 10th August 2020 and closed 11th September 2020.
Code of practice for in-service inspection and testing of electrical equipment
Acknowledged contributor, 5th Ed 2020
(*NEW* 5th Ed now available)
Technical Briefing: Electrical energy storage: an introduction
1st Ed 2016 Lead Author
Free to download
Technical Briefing: Practical considerations for d.c. installations
1st Ed 2016 Lead Author
Free to download
IET Guidance on BS 7671
BS 7671 Requirements for electrical installations (IET Wiring Regulations) is the UK national wiring code, implementing HD 60364-series and IEC 60364-series of standards in the UK.
Guidance Note 1: Selection and Erection
Guidance Note 3: Inspection & Testing
Acknowledged Contributor, 8th Ed 2018
(8th Ed available from IET web-site)
Guidance Note 5: Protection against electric shock
Guidance Note 6: Protection against overcurrent
Guidance Note 8: Earthing & bonding
Acknowledged contributor, 2nd Ed 2011, 3rd Ed 2015, and 4th Ed 2018.
(4th Edition available from IET web-site)
Electrical Installation Design Guide: Calculations for Electricians and Designers
Association for Petroleum and Explosives Administration (APEA) publications
Electric vehicle charging installations at filling stations. A supplement to the IET Code of Practice for Electric Vehicle Charging Equipment Installation
Acknowledged contributor, 1st Ed 2020
(*NEW* now available from APEA)
MCS standards are available here
The Battery Standard (Installation)
EDA Electrotechnical Product Knowledge Series
Introduction to the principles of electricity
Module EDAIPE1P. Author, First Edition (2018) and reprint (2019)
Wiring devices and controls
Module EDAWDC1P. Author, First Edition (2018)
Department of Health
Technical Memorandum HTM 06-01 Electrical services supply and distribution
Acknowledged Contributor, 2017 Edition
Free to download
- *Updated to BS 7671:2018+A1:2020 and 4th Edition of the IET CoP* IET Academy Course Electric Vehicle Charging Installations (author). Book here
- *Due January 2021* IET Academy Course Electrical Energy Storage Systems (co-author)
Technical press articles
- Island mode earthing arrangements: New Guidance in the Second Edition of the IET Code of Practice on Electrical Energy Storage Systems, co-authored with Dr Andrew Crossland of Advance Further Energy Ltd, IET Wiring Matters Issue 84 – March 2021: Read here
- Section 514 identification and notices in the Amendment No. 2 Draft for Public Comment, IET Wiring Matters Issue 83 – November 2020: Read here
- The IET Code of Practice for Electric Vehicle Charging Equipment 4th Edition, IET Wiring Matters Issue 80 – May 2020: Read here
- Working safety with storage: It’s not business as usual, IET Wiring Matters Issue 74 (co-author with Dr Andrew Crossland CEng), March 2019: Read here
- Earth fault loop impedance revision of ENA Engineering Recommendation P23, IET Wiring Matters Issue 72, September 2018: Read here
- Code of practice for electrical energy storage systems – the thought leaders behind the new publication, IET Wiring Matters Issue 66, July 2017: Read here
- Energy storage interview: Graham Kenyon, IET Wiring Matters Issue 63, Winter 2016: Read here
- Technical considerations for d.c. installations, IET Wiring Matters Issue 59, Winter 2015: Read here
Seminar/conference papers, webinars and industry presentations
- IET Webinar presentation Other legislation and standards for electrical installation designers – it’s not all about BS 7671 and the Building Regulations! presented on 2nd February 2021, and followed by a live on-line Q&A session. Read more – available on demand.
- IET Webinar presentation Selection of RCDs presented on 1st December 2020, and followed by a live on-line Q&A session. Read more – available on demand.
- IET Webinar presentation Practical application of protective earthing presented on 16th September 2020, and followed by a live on-line Q&A session. Read more – available on demand.
- IET Webinar presentation Electrical diversity and load curtailment originally presented on 28th July 2020, and followed by a live on-line Q&A session. Read more– available on demand.
- IET Code of Practice for Electric Vehicle Charging Installations (draft 4th Edition). Presentation on the changes planned for this publication, on the IET stand at Highways UK, 6 November 2019
- BS 7671: 2018 18th Edition of the IET Wiring Regulations Interpreted by our experts. (5 June 2018, IET Austin Court, Birmingham and 7 January 2019, IET Savoy Place, London). Graham presented on changes to Overvoltage Control (sections 443 and 534), Part 7 (Special Locations), and the new Appendix 17 (Energy Efficiency), as well as participating in the discussion panel. Read more
- Electromagnetic compatibility Presented at the Electrical Seminar held by the Institute of Healthcare Engineering and Estate Management (IHEEM), at the Thackray Medical Museum, Leeds, on 19 September 2018
- Electrical Energy Storage Systems: how to install, operate and maintain
Presented as IET Webinar, 23 October 2017, but available on-demand.
- IET Code of Practice for Electrical Energy Storage Systems
Presentation to Solar and Storage Live, NEC Birmingham, 4 October 2017.
- BS 7671:2008+A1:2011 (17th edition IET Wiring Regulations) requirements for EMC in buildings. Seminar session presented at the IET Seminar “Wireless Communications in Buildings”, 28 September 2011.
A video of the presentation is available to view on the IET TV website. Other presentations from the seminar are also available from the site.
- The Ground Window Concept, 2005-2007
Presented at the IET Tutorial Workshop “Earthing & Bonding Techniques for Electrical Installations” at various locations in London, Manchester, Glasgow and Belfast, between March 2005 and September 2007. The paper is available in one of the published seminar journals, e.g. ISBN
- Control of information flooding and mode confusions: lessons from major engineering projects, 2007. Co-authored with W. Ian Hamilton and Joanne Stokes, published in this HFES Europe publication “Human Factors Issues in Complex System Performance”
- Practical selection of high integrity / uninterruptible power supplies, 2006. Presentation to the IET BETNET International Conference, Kuala Lumpur, 2 November 2006
Conference discussion panel participation
- 17 June 2019: Mayor of London’s launch of London’s EV Infrastructure Delivery Plan, Technical discussion panel (Chair).
- 26 April 2017: Future of Engineering Conference, The need for brilliant minds in standards-setting for new technologies (discussion panel member)
- 18 October 2017: UK Construction Week, Energy storage panel discussion (discussion panel member)